Your new AlpineKB shower screens come with a lifetime warranty. However, like everything, shower screens need regular care and maintenance to maintain the performance and life of these products. Our shower screen experts have put together guidelines to ensure you will get the most out of your AlpineKB shower screens. These guidelines will provide expert tips and methods for keeping your shower screens in pristine condition, focusing on gentle, regular maintenance to prevent damage and ensure safety.
Please ensure you clean and maintain your AlpineKB shower screens in accordance with the information and guidelines provided to maintain your warranty on the finish.
Regular Cleaning: The Key to Durability
Maintaining the pristine condition of your AlpineKB shower screens not only enhances the appearance of your bathroom but also extends the life of the product. Regular cleaning, done correctly, is essential to prevent damage, particularly from corrosion, and ensure the longevity of both the glass and aluminium components.
Frequency and Timing
Clean your shower screens every one to two weeks. This may need to be adjusted based on the hardness of your water supply; harder water can leave more mineral deposits and may require more frequent cleaning.
How To Clean Shower Screen Glass
Step 1: Preparation of Cleaning Materials
- Gather your supplies: a mild soap or detergent, a bucket or bowl for mixing the cleaning solution, clean water, a squeegee, and a soft, lint-free cloth or microfiber towel.
- Prepare a mixture by combining a small amount of gentle soap or detergent with warm water in a bucket or bowl. It is crucial to use only mild soap or detergent solutions for cleaning. The solution should be sudsy but not overly concentrated.
Step 2: Cleaning the Glass Panels
- Start by wetting the glass panels with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Using a non-abrasive sponge or cloth, apply the soapy water solution to the glass in a gentle, circular motion. Avoid applying too much pressure. Under no circumstances should abrasive, caustic, or scouring products be used. Non-compliance with these cleaning instructions may cause decorative finishes to deteriorate and could adversely affect the safe operation of the enclosure.
- Focus on any spots or stains, but be gentle to avoid damaging the hydrophobic coating.
Step 3: Rinsing the Glass Panels
- After thoroughly washing the glass, rinse the panels with clean water. You can use a handheld showerhead or a clean, wet cloth.
- Ensure all soap suds and cleaning solutions are completely removed, as residue can leave marks and reduce the effectiveness of the hydrophobic coating.
Step 4: Squeegeeing
- Use a squeegee to remove excess water from the glass panels. Start from the top and move downwards in a smooth, continuous motion. This step is crucial to prevent water spots.
Step 5: Drying and Polishing the Glass
- After squeegeeing, any remaining droplets should be gently dabbed or wiped off with a soft, dry cloth or microfiber towel.
- Polish the glass in a circular motion to prevent streaks, ensuring a clear, streak-free finish.
Cleaning the Frame and Hardware
- Apply the same soap solution to the frame and hardware using a soft cloth.
- Pay special attention to crevices and joints where soap scum and water spots are more likely to accumulate.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water and dry with a soft cloth to prevent water spots and corrosion.
- Regular cleaning is not just about aesthetics; it’s about preserving the functionality and safety of your shower screen.
- Always use gentle, non-abrasive materials and techniques to protect the surfaces and finishes of your shower screen.
By following these detailed steps, you ensure that your AlpineKB shower screens remain clean, clear, and in excellent condition, thus extending their lifespan and maintaining their elegant appearance.
Important Don’ts in Shower Screen Maintenance
Understanding what not to do is just as important as knowing the correct cleaning methods for your AlpineKB shower screens. Certain practices and products can cause irreversible damage to both the glass and the aluminium parts of your shower screen. Here, we will delve into the critical don’ts to ensure the longevity and safety of your shower enclosure.
By avoiding these harmful practices and products, you can preserve the integrity and appearance of your AlpineKB shower screens. Remember, gentle and mindful cleaning is the cornerstone of maintaining your screens in a condition that is as good as new.
Dealing with Limescale on AlpineKB Shower Screens
Limescale, a common issue in many bathrooms, can detract from the appearance and functionality of your AlpineKB shower screens. It’s essential to address this problem effectively to maintain the clarity and longevity of the glass. This section explores the best practices for safely and effectively removing limescale.
Step-by-Step Guide to Removing Limescale
Regular cleaning, as we’ve discussed before, is key to preventing the build-up of limescale. If you reside in a hard water area, it may be worth considering the installation of a water softener to minimise the formation of limescale.
Daily Care for Longevity of AlpineKB Shower Screens
The key to extending the lifespan and maintaining the pristine condition of your AlpineKB shower screens lies in consistent daily care.
To prevent the build-up of limescale, it is important to take a few extra steps in maintaining your glass and frames. After showering, make sure to thoroughly rinse the surfaces with water, ensuring no water droplets are left behind. To further protect the glass, use a squeegee to remove any remaining droplets, leaving it clean and spotless. For the frames, gently wipe them with a soft cloth to ensure they stay in pristine condition.
Following these simple, routine actions taken after each use can significantly reduce the build-up of limescale, soap scum, and water spots, ensuring your shower screen remains clear and functional.
Detailed Guide for Daily Shower Screen Care
Incorporating these simple yet effective steps into your daily routine can greatly enhance the longevity and appearance of your AlpineKB shower screens. Regular daily care is an effortless practice that pays off in the long run, keeping your shower enclosure in excellent condition while minimising the need for more intensive cleaning.
Cleaning Guide for Aluminium Shower Screen Frames
Aluminium frames on shower screens are not only functional but also add to the aesthetic appeal of your bathroom. Proper cleaning and maintenance of these frames are essential to preserve their appearance and functionality. This guide will provide detailed instructions on how to clean aluminium shower screen frames effectively, using safe practices and recommended solutions.
Step-by-Step Process for Cleaning Aluminium Frames
Recommended Cleaning Solutions
- Stick to clean, warm, soapy water for general cleaning. This is gentle enough not to damage the finish and is effective for regular maintenance.
- Avoid using solvent-based cleaners, which can harm the aluminium surface and void your warranty.
Handling Stubborn Marks
For difficult marks like tape residue, use alcohol or citrus cleaner solvent-based cleaners sparingly. These should be used only when necessary and not as part of regular cleaning.
Always follow up the use of these stronger cleaners with a thorough rinse to remove any residual cleaner from the surface.
Maintaining your aluminium shower screen frames requires a careful approach that balances effective cleaning with gentle handling. By following these steps and using the recommended cleaning solutions, you can ensure that your aluminium frames remain in excellent condition, contributing to your shower space’s overall functionality and aesthetic. Regular, mindful cleaning will keep these frames looking their best for years to come.
Managing Aluminium Corrosion on Shower Screen Frames
Aluminium shower screen frames are valued for their strength, reliability, and inherent resistance to corrosion. However, without regular cleaning and maintenance, they can still be susceptible to rust. Research by Curtin and Monash universities highlights that the risk of corrosion is more about the environment than the quality of the aluminium or its installation. Proper care not only maintains the appearance of these frames but also extends their functional life by preventing corrosion.
Why might aluminium corrode?
Research from institutions like Curtin University and others shows that corrosion in aluminium shower screen frames is influenced more by environmental conditions than the quality of the aluminium itself. As such, corrosion is not covered under warranty.
Aluminium shower screens benefit from a natural oxide layer that guards against corrosion. Yet, this protective layer might be less effective in areas like crevices and joints where moisture and soap residues accumulate, heightening the risk of corrosion. Moreover, airborne pollutants in the bathroom can settle on the frames, further contributing to the corrosion process.
Recognising these factors is essential for effective maintenance and highlights the importance of regular cleaning to reduce corrosion risks, especially in areas prone to these environmental challenges.
Effective Steps to Minimise Aluminium Corrosion
Regular Cleaning Schedule
Establish a regular cleaning routine to prevent the build-up of substances that can accelerate corrosion. This not only keeps the frames looking good but also preserves their structural integrity.
By understanding the importance of regular cleaning and maintenance, you can effectively manage and prevent aluminium corrosion in your shower screen frames. This care is crucial for maintaining both the aesthetic appeal and the functional longevity of your shower enclosure. Regular, gentle cleaning, using the right techniques and solutions, will ensure that your aluminium frames remain in excellent condition, free from corrosion and other damage.